Mr Peter Mckenzie Creative and Performing Arts / School of Education and the Arts
MLM, Grad.DipLT, BJazz, AmusA
Phone: (07) 4940 7523 - Ext: 57523
Edit content here
Peter McKenzie teaches saxophone ensemble, improvisation and advanced jazz theory within the Bachelor of Music (Jazz and Popular) degree at CQUniversity.
Peter is an accomplished woodwind specialist and his versatility extends through many musical styles including jazz and contemporary music. He has performed and toured with a number of major artists including Guy Sebastian, David Liebman, James Morrison, John Morrison, Don Rader, Wilbur Wilde, Vince Jones, John Riley, David Baker, James Sherlock, Mike Price, Katie Noonan and The Idea of North to name a few.
Peter has performed prolifically in Australia with performances at the Brisbane Festival, Hamilton Island Race Week, Big River Jazz Festival, Palmer St Jazz Festival and the Barcaldine Jazz Festival. Peter has also toured the USA on a number of occasions with performances and clinics in Richmond Virginia, Louisville Kentucky, Brownsville Texas and Cedar City in Utah.
Peter holds a Bachelor of Jazz Studies, a Grad Dip. Ed and a Master of Learning Management degree from CQUniversity. Peter is currently undertaking a Doctor of Philosophy degree specialising in regional jazz communities. Peter's other research interests are in the area of beginner jazz improvisation.
• Indigenous musicians pop in to join cream of Mackay’s talent
• Jazz musicians ‘on Quay’ in Mackay
• Australian jazz royalty herald a musical weekend in Mackay
• Big Sounds in Mackay
• Jazz lovers have Friday on their mind
• The Big Night in returns to Mackay
• Top jazz vocalist and trombonist in Mackay as Con swings into August
• CQUniversity Gladstone Campus 35th Anniversary celebrations
• Banana Velvet and Master Keys primed for concerts.
• School musicians can tap into campus program
• Teens can ‘jam’ in extra musical experience
• Musical Natalies share journey from Tablelands to Rocky
• Public welcome as James Morrison ‘swing’ through Rocky
• 24 hours to salsa
• Nikki shines on stage while composing herself for the future
• ‘From Malaysia to Australia’, UniNews, 29th May, 2012, http://uninews.cqu.edu.au/UniNews/viewStory.do?story=9441
• ‘All welcome at Jazzmania concert in Rockhampton’, UniNews, 23 May, 2012, http://uninews.cqu.edu.au/UniNews/viewStory.do?story=9421
• ‘Live music thrives thanks to CQUni and TAFE initiative’, UniNews, 3 May, 2012, http://uninews.cqu.edu.au/UniNews/viewStory.do?story=9280
Peter is a current committee member of (RADF) Regional Arts Development Fund for the Mackay City Council.
The development of jazz communities in regional centres, Australia. Peter is currently researching regional jazz communities in North Queensland as part of his Doctor of Philosophy degree.
Peter's Masters project investigated beginner jazz improvisation and the suitability of specific repertoire for students. Emanating from this project, Peter has developed a range of studies and etudes that assist in the development of jazz improvisation for students at CQUniversity.