Dr Alexandra McEwan Law / School of Business and Law
BA Anthropology (Hons I) (Uni Syd) 2000
LLB (Hons I) (JCU) 2008
Grad Dip Legal Practice (ANU) 2011
PhD (Law) (ANU) 2017
2011 APA Scholarship (Australian National University)
2009: Marylyn Mayo Medal for Bachelor of Laws with Honours
2008: Wettenhall Silva Human Rights Law Award
Alexandra McEwan, ‘Racing Away from Policy Commitments,’ Policy Forum (15 August 2018) <https://www.policyforum.net/racing-away-policy-commitments/>
1. Australian National University, ANU Reporter (Dec 2016).
2. Alexandra McEwan, ‘Gone to the Dogs: What are the Implications of the NSW Ban on Greyhound Racing for Other Animal Use Industries?’ Policy Forum (4 Sept 2016).
3. Alexandra McEwan, ‘How Animal Protection Law Finally Moved into the Fast Law: The NSW Ban on Greyhound Racing’ Humane Society International Australia (25 Aug 2016)
4. Alexandra McEwan, ‘Whistleblower Law Needs More Bite to Fight Greyhound Cruelty and Corporate Fraud’ The Conversation (4 Jan 2016).
5. Alexandra McEwan, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Greyhound' The Conversation (2 Dec 2012).
In 2016 I was nominated for an ANU Media and Outreach Prize in the category of Public Policy for my analysis of the greyhound racing industry and was awarded Highly Commended.
2015–Nov 2017 College of Business, Law and Governance James Cook University, Cairns Qld
Sessional Lecturer: Law of Trusts (2015); Legal Research, Writing and Analysis (2015-16), Legal Institutions and Processes (2016), Clinical Legal Placement (2017), Policy Analysis and Development (Workshop Facilitator) (2016-17), Advanced Criminal Law (2017); Environmental Law and Policy (2017) and Environmental Law (2017)
2015 ANU School of Law, Australina National University (ANU)
Lecturer: Foundations of Australian Law;
ANU Research School of Social Sciences
Tutor Corruption in Our World
Management Committee Member, Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand 2018
Associate Member, Queensland Law Society
Member, Australian Anthropological Society
Member, Animal Studies Society of Australia
Consultant World Bank. (June 2014) with Kym Kelly and Prof Adam Graycar: Corruption Prevention: An Australian Case Study.
Torres Hip Hop Health Promotion Project Evaluation (Feb 11 – Jun 11) Evaluation Report submitted to Qld Health June 2011. Findings published in a peer reviewed journal in 2013.
Cape York Health Service District (CYHSD), Men’s and Women’s Health Program Review, Qld Health: (0.6 FTE) (Sept 10 – Mar 11) Lead responsibility for CYHSD Men’s and Women’s Health Program and service model review.
Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health Queensland (2010) Research Consultancy The Reproductive and Mental Health of Young Women Living in Rural and Remote Australia.
Alexandra McEwan, Juridical Individualism and the Offence of Animal Cruelty, Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand conference, December 2017, Dunedin, New Zealand.
Alexandra McEwan, The Concept of Violence: A Proposed Framework for the Study of Animal Protection Law and Policy, ‘60 Years of Essentially Contested Concepts’ University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 12 Dec 2016.
Alexandra McEwan, Symbolic Violence and the Animal Protection Field: Reading Bourdieu through Francis Bacon’s Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion, 10th Somatechnics Conference, Byron Bay Dec 2016.
Alexandra McEwan, A Critique of Australia’s Animal Protection Framework Adopting Pierre Bourdieu’s Notion of ‘Field’, Minding Animals Conference, Delhi, India, Jan 2016
Alexandra McEwan, Violence as an Essentially Contested Concept Melbourne Doctoral Forum on Legal Theory, University of Melbourne Law School, 9–10 Dec 2013.
Alexandra McEwan, The Concept of Violence: Its Application to an Analysis of Australia’s Animal Protection Regulatory System, Animal Law in Australasia 3: Continuing the Dialogue Symposium, University of Sydney Faculty of Law, 11 Jul 2013.
Alexandra McEwan and Caroline Harvey, The Reproductive and Mental Health of Young Women Living in Rural and Remote Australia: A Scoping Exercise. First Sexual and Reproductive Health Conference, Public Health Association, Melbourne, 21-22 Nov 2012
Alexandra McEwan, Offences Against the Person and Animal Cruelty Provisions: A Comparative Analysis Minding Animals Conference, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, 3-6 Jul 2012.
Alexandra McEwan, An Analysis of the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy as a Representation of Our Legal and Moral Obligations Towards Other Animals Ceremonies of Law Conference University of Wollongong 7–9 Dec 2011
October 2017, Australia's Animal Protection Filed as a Bourdieusian Field, Critical Theory Seminar, James Cook University, Qld
July 2013 Animal Law in Australasia 3: Continuing the Dialogue Symposium, University of Sydney Faculty of Law.
LAW (Peer Reviewed)
1. Alexandra McEwan & Krishna Skandakumar, ‘The Welfare of Greyhounds in Australian Racing: Has the Industry Run its Course?’ (2011) 6 Australian Animal Protection Law Journal 53-74.
2. Alexandra McEwan, ‘Martha Nussbaum’s Capabilities Approach for Non-Human Species: A Preliminary Critique’ (2010) 4 Australian Animal Protection Law Journal 64-91.
3. Tom Faunce & Alexandra McEwan, ‘The High Court's Lost Chance in Medical Negligence: Tabet v Gett’ (2010) 18(2) Journal of Law and Medicine 275-83.
4. Tom Faunce, Ruth Townsend and Alexandra McEwan, ‘The Vioxx Scandal’ (2010) 18(1) Journal of Law and Medicine 38-49.
5. Alexandra McEwan, ‘The Rule in Browne v Dunn in Australian Criminal Law: MWJ v R and R v MAP’ (2006) 13 James Cook University Law Review 155-66.
HEALTH AND SOCIAL POLICY (Peer Reviewed - Selected)
6. Alexandra McEwan, Alan Crouch, et al, ‘The Torres Indigenous Hip Hop Project: Evaluating the Use of Performing Arts as a Medium for Sexual Health Promotion’ (2013) 24(2) Health Promotion Journal of Australia 132-6.
7. Alexandra McEwan, Komla Tsey et al, ‘The Role of Empowerment Strategies in Change Management for Aboriginal Organisations: A Case Study.’ (2010) 34(3) Australian Health Review 360-67.
8. Janya McCalman, Alexandra McEwan et al, ‘The Role of Community Empowerment Education in Enhancing Sustainable Settlements: The Case of Family Wellbeing.’ (2010) 13(2) Journal of Social and Economic Policy 1-27.
9. Radhika Santhanam, Alexandra McEwan, et al, ‘Adapting the Australian Public Mental Health Performance Indicators to the Contextual Needs of a Remote Area Child and Youth Mental Health Service’ (2009) 9(1) Australian Indigenous Health Bulletin 1-12.
1. Alexandra McEwan and Emmeline Taylor, (2013) An Environmental Scan of Victorian Integrity Bodies, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University
2. Alexandra McEwan, (2011) Torres Hip Hop Project Evaluation Report Tropical Regional Services, Sexual Health Program, Queensland Health
3. Alexandra McEwan and Rose Spencer (2011) Review of Cape York Health Service District’s Men’s and Women’s Health Program 2011, Queensland Health
4. Alexandra McEwan, (2010) Scoping Exercise: The Reproductive and Mental Health of Young Women Living in Rural and Remote Australia. Family Planning Queensland and Centre for Rural and Remote Mental Health Queensland (CRRMHQ)
5. Alexandra McEwan, Jennifer Bowers et al, (2010) Mental Health Promotion and Climate Change in Rural and Remote Australia: a Human Rights Approach (CRRMHQ).
6. Alexandra McEwan, Komla Tsey et al, The Role of Spirituality in Social and Emotional Well Being Initiatives: The Family Wellbeing Program at Yarrabah, (2009) Discussion Paper No. 7, Co-operative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, Darwin.
7. Janya McCalman and Alexandra McEwan, (2009) Building Bridges: the Role of Knowledge Sharing between Men’s Groups and the Family Well Being Empowerment Program. Project report submitted to the National Suicide Prevention Strategy
McEwan, A., Skandakumar, K., & McEwan, A. B. (2011). The Welfare of Greyhounds in Australian Racing: Has the Industry Run its Course?. Australian Animal Protection Law Journal, 6, 53-74.
McEwan, A. B. (2010). Martha Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach for Non-Human Species: A Preliminary Critique. Australian Animal Protection Law Journal, 4, 64-91.